Statistics of Message on Hold
North American Telecommunications Association
- The average hold time for businesses with more than two lines is 55 seconds
- 55% of callers who were put on “silent” hold abandoned their calls within the first 40 seconds
- Callers who hear music on hold stay on the line an average of 60 seconds longer than those on “silent” hold
- Callers hearing information on hold stay on the line up to 3.5 minutes longer
- Customers left on-hold without any background music felt that a 30-second on-hold call actually lasted 90 seconds. Furthermore, customers thought a 30-second on-hold call that used music-on-hold lasted only 15 seconds. – AT&T Survey
- 94% of all advertising budgets are spent to induce phone calls, while only 4% is spent on handling the new calls.
- 88% of all callers surveyed preferred message recordings to radio or silence.
- 70% of all business callers are put ON HOLD.
- 60% of all callers left unattended hang up.
Sales & Marketing Management Magazine
- 93% of the average marketing/advertising budget is spent to entice potential customers to call a business
- Only 4% of the average marketing budget is spent on caller/customer retention
- The average cost in lost potential business from a mishandled call is $34
Other Facts and Figures
- Executives spend 15 minutes a day or 60 hours per year on-hold. – USA Today
- The average hold time is 38 seconds. – Electronic Distribution Today
- 88% of callers preferred on-hold messages to other hold options, and 16 – 20% made a purchase based on an on-hold offer. – Stan Rapp and Tom Collins of Maximarketing
- On average 7 out of 10 business callers are placed on hold. – Inbound/Outbound
- One study found that of the 8 – 15% of a company’s customer base is lost each year, 68% is due to indifferent or negative phone treatment. – Oren Harari of The Tom Peters Group
- The average person will spend 1.2 years on hold. – Woman’s World Magazine